Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Cité irréelle



    Today marks the release of Cité irréelle from éditions Tanibis. If you wind the clock back 57 years it's also the day my next story takes place.



Here's a panel from the comic I'm working on called The Tissue Paper Desperado 

I've been immersing myself in the period, watching movie after movie from 1962. It's been a good excuse to brush up on French New Wave films. Europe was way ahead of American cinema at this time. In honor of the French release I thought I'd share some of the highlights.  





This film has a complex plot, full of duplicity, yet also somehow feels simple and poetic. Very much in the vein of a good Jacques Tardi crime graphic novel.



Every shot of this film is beautiful, and nearly every shot contains the impossibly beautiful Anna Karina. Goddard is a big infuence. I've probably mimicked that shot of Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jean Seberg walking down the street in Breathless a hundred times by now.



My first Truffaut film. A story of love and friendship that follows the course of a mé·nage à trois over several years. The storytelling is both fast paced and epic.



Another Truffaut film, based on Shoot the Piano Player  by David Goodis. I was reading a bit of Goodis around the time I wrote The Tissue Paper Desperado.



Also my first Agnes Varda film. I only saw about 10 minutes of Le Bonheur years ago, but I was always fascinated by a still from that film in a book I have.



I based this panel of Aydan and Nadya from Echoes into Eternity on this film still.



Anyways, that's it  for now. I'll be checking in again soon.

Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment